SCAN (Sociometric Collection and Analysis)
What is SCAN?
SCAN (Sociometric Collection & Analysis) is a comprehensive data collection and assessment tool for sociometric research. SCAN dramatically streamlines data entry, removes opportunities for errors, and automatically produces graphical reports and analyses.
Who is SCAN For?
Researchers collecting sociometrics can use SCAN to reduce data entry time and more easily spot patterns with graphical reports. SCAN is available to Ph.D. level researchers and graduate level assistants under the supervision of a Ph.D. level researcher.
How does SCAN Work?
SCAN software organizes your workflow into five steps:
- Design - Use SCAN's built-in standard sociometric questions, or customize and create your own questions or metrics.
- Print - SCAN prints custom forms with your class lists and your questions.
- Collect - SCAN provides detailed scripts you can use or modify, for consistent, accurate results.
- Enter - SCAN reduces data entry to point-and-click, with intuitive screens that match the printed forms.
- Analysis - One click generates all standard reports and graphs, in a rich graphical navigation environment, with no programming required. SCAN exports to popular statistical packages for your own custom analyses, so you are always in control of your data.
Why use SCAN?
- An independent study [Independent Research & Training, published June 2002] has proven that "traditional methods take nearly twice as long [as SCAN]." The IRT study showed this dramatic result for the data entry portion alone, not counting time saved customizing print sheets, managing class lists, and writing and testing analysis programs in SAS or SPSS.
- SCAN data entry screens precisely match the customized printouts, eliminating opportunities for errors and making error checking as simple and fast as possible.
- SCAN offers innovative, proven metrics such as probability scores, "unclassified" analysis, reciprocal nominations, and self nomination reports.
- Independent IRT testers reported a higher level of user satisfaction and a significantly better overall experience using SCAN versus traditional methods.